Who are my patients?
Patients who come to me have a wide range of concerns and chronic health problems. Their concerns often range from fatigue, abdominal concerns, and brain fog to thyroid conditions or autoimmunity.
Patients who will do the best working with me will be:
- Motivated to make dietary and lifestyle changes and be active in their healing journey
- Able to invest in themselves, both with time and financially
- Willing to pursue the causes of their illness, through laboratory and Health Assessments
How do I work with patients?
Things are done differently here than what you would expect at a traditional doctor appointment. I look at your illness as an onion, where in order to find the cause of your symptoms, it often requires looking under many different layers.
We will employ many different tools to help us take a deep look into the origin of your symptoms. This will include detailed Health Assessments, which take a deep dive into your history, diet, and lifestyle. Additional tools will depend on your unique story and can include comprehensive blood, urine, stool, breath, genetic, or saliva testing.
After we begin with our assessment tools as discussed above, we will dig into our treatment tools. These will include prescribing diets, supplements, herbs, lifestyle and stress management, and when needed, prescription medications.
We will then continue to work together on an ongoing basis, monitoring and reassessing our treatment plan until we find the root cause of your illness. The ultimate goal is determined by you and is discussed at each appointment.
What is my treatment philosophy?
My practice is based on a systematic evaluation of patient concerns that has become known as Functional Medicine. The premise of the philosophy developed by The Institute for Functional Medicine is that underlying causes are discovered by looking at the body as an integrated system. This blends together the best of Natural and Conventional Medicine.
For more information, please visit: www.ifm.org.
What conditions do I treat?
By using the Functional Medicine framework, we step back and try to see patterns and warning signs coming from all different bodily systems. It is understood that we work together as an entire unit, not as a gastrointestinal system, cardiovascular system, dermatologic, etc. In doing so, we dig deeper and are better able to find and address the source of your symptoms, often times in unexpected places.
Because of the breadth at which we look at your body together, we are able to uncover the causes of a wide variety of conditions. Some of these include:
- Adrenal disorders
- Autoimmune disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Chronic fatigue
- Chronic infections
- Digestive disorders (IBD, IBS, GERD/Reflux)
- Elevated cholesterol
- Environmental and food allergies
- Female disorders (PMS, Menopause, Infertility, PCOS)
- Hormonal imbalances
- Metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, insulin resistance
- Migraines and headaches
- Overweight and obesity
- Sleep disorders and insomnia
- Thyroid disorders
What conditions do I specialize in?
- Digestive problems and food intolerances
- Low immune function, allergies
- Autoimmune diseases
- Hormone imbalances (adrenal, thyroid)
- Metabolic problems (weight, blood sugar, blood pressure)
- Fatigue, low energy and poor sleep
- Cognitive and neurological disorders
Working with me
The model I use to work with patients is likely quite different from what you are used to. The following will give you an idea of what to expect:
The process is broken down into Patient Registration, followed by 3 steps.
First, you will need to register with the patient portal at this link: https://trevorhausauernp.md-hq.com/ (This is also the link embedded in the book now button on Facebook)
Once there, enter your information to set up your account and follow the instructions from within the portal welcome screen. The parts you must complete include:·
- Clicking on and completing the information requested under ‘Health Assessment’
- Once that has been completed, you can click on ‘My Appointments’ to self-register for your free Step 1-30 minute Discovery Cal
During the Discovery Call, I will call you at the time you have scheduled. We will discuss the results of your Health Assessment, your concerns, and goals. If, by mutual discussion, we are a good fit for working together, we will discuss if there are some simple dietary changes to be made, recommendations for lab evaluation, and prepare for Step 2- Case Review.
The Case Review is required for all new patients. This process is designed for us to be as efficient as possible with both your time and finances. I like to utilize the approach of “test, don’t guess”, which allows us to have targeted treatments and track results most effectively.
To prepare for the Case Review, you will be requested to complete a more complete and in-depth online Health Assessment with our Living Matrix system. This is integral to review your history and understand your story. The completion of the Health Assessment should be expected to take 60-90 minutes depending on the extent of your medical history. You will also be requested to complete a lab evaluation. Testing that may be used include:
- Comprehensive blood work (This will allow for a thorough evaluation for infections, anemia, insulin and blood sugar status, kidney and liver, thyroid, adrenal, inflammation, vitamin D, and B12. We may also add on further blood testing for further evaluation if you have concern for high cholesterol, gluten sensitivity, hypothyroidism, or autoimmune disease.)
- Stool testing (This is a screen for dysbiosis, inflammation, parasites, bacterial infections, and efficiency of digestion.)
- Urine hormone testing (Evaluates the status of adrenal and sex hormones.)
- Breath testing (To evaluate for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.)·
- Urine Organic Acids (Screens for B vitamins and methylation status as well as for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.)
Once you have completed your Health Assessment and requested lab work, it is time to schedule your Step 2- 60 minute in-person Case Review. Scheduling of this appointment will be discussed during your Discovery Call. The Case Review will consist of:
- An in-depth review of your history and telling of your health story using Living Matrix. You will be encouraged to fill in gaps in the story as we look at this together. This system is state of the art, as it organizes your history into a Functional Medicine timeline. The timeline allows for insight that has often never been seen before.
- Review of current medications and supplements
- Review of previous lab results (10 page maximum)
- Review of lab results completed for the case study
- Treatment plan, which will include diet, supplements, lifestyle recommendations, and pharmaceuticals if needed.
- Further testing recommendations if needed
- Recommendation for follow-up
There is an opportunity to work with a health coach at Spark Natural Health to help you be as successful as possible in these recommendations.
Depending on the treatment plan during the Case Review, we will discuss needs for ongoing follow-up. Step 3 is your ongoing care. This varies depending on the treatments recommended, as well as severity of your symptoms.